In this article, we explore the effective solutions to fix drag-and-drop issues on Windows 11. From updating the system to editing the registry, using Windows PowerShell, and checking your Windows 11 settings. Accessibility: discover proven methods to restore this essential functionality.
Dragging and dropping files is a crucial feature in the Windows operating system. However, Windows 11 users may sometimes encounter issues with this feature. Fortunately, there are several solutions to resolve this problem.
IDENTIFY DRAG AND DROP PROBLEM IN WINDOWS 11
Before diving into the solutions, it is important to understand the nature of the problem. Users may experience difficulty dragging and dropping files in File Explorer, on the taskbar, or between different applications. This malfunction can be caused by various factors, ranging from security settings to update issues.
COMMON DRAG-AND-DROP PROBLEMS
Files not moving or copying.
The taskbar does not respond to swiping.
Apps don’t recognize the swipe action.
SOLUTIONS TO FIX DRAG-AND-DROP ISSUES
SYSTEM AND DRIVER UPDATES
- Click Settings > Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update, then Check for updates.
- Install any available updates and restart your computer.
Quote: Updating Windows can resolve many functionality issues. – Microsoft Expert
RESETTING FILE EXPLORER
Right-click on the taskbar.
Select Task Manager.
Find File Explorer, right-click it, and select Restart.
EDITING THE REGISTRY
Warning: Editing the registry editor can be risky. Do this only if you are comfortable with these manipulations.
Type regedit in Windows Search and open Registry Editor
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
- Right-click, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it EnableLUA and set its value to 0.
- Restart your computer.
USE WINDOWS POWERSHELL
- Right-click the Start button.
- Select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- Type sfc /scan now and press Enter.
- Let the process complete, and restart your computer.
CHECK ACCESSIBILITY SETTINGS
- Go to Settings > Accessibility.
- Make sure that the file-handling helper options are not activated by mistake.
In summary, several methods exist to fix drag-and-drop issues on Windows 11. Whether updating the system, resetting File Explorer, editing the registry, using Windows PowerShell, or checking accessibility settings, these solutions can help restore this essential functionality. It is always advised to exercise caution, especially when modifying the registry or system settings.
Also Read: How to Recover Deleted Files from Windows